Saturday, August 9, 2008

Consummate Chocolate Chip Cookies


This is not a picture of my chocolate chip cookies - it is an image that google was good enough to offer. I make these so often, I'd never thought to ever photograph them, nor write a blog about them. Then I brought a batch to work and my co-workers all couldn't stop talking about them! Since then they have been heckling me to post the recipe.

Well, now the time has come to share. And I'm afraid I am going to disappoint them all when I come clean and tell them that my "super amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe" is not really as secret as I let them think it was.

In fact, it's right off the back of every package of Hershey's Chipits Chocolate Chips you get at any grocery store!

The secret to chocolate chip cookies is not the recipe. Granted, not all chocolate chip cookies are created equal, and this recipe is darn good even if just slammed in the oven directly after mixing. But no, the real secret ingredient is time.

There's something about letting chocolate chip cookie dough sit for a while that just makes it miraculous. I'll let mine sit in the fridge over night if I can, but always at least for an hour. It just makes all the flavours in the dough so much better.

Still, I did promise to write down my recipe, which I hereby dedicate to Linda, Toni, Stephanie, Karen, and Janice (the five ladies I work closest with). Just because it turns out it isn't secret, doesn't make them any less delicious!


Chocolate Chip Cookies
from the back of the Hershey's Chipits bag
makes 4 dozen cookies


1 c. shortening or softened butter (truth? I use shortening. Butter makes them very runny)
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. white granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla (I usually just do 2 tsp)
2 c. all purpose flour (although cake and pastry flour makes them that much lighter)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder (my addition)
1/2 tsp salt
1 package of chocolate chips (approx 350 g)

  • Cream together shortening and both butters until creamy
  • Beat in eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy
  • Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl
  • Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients
  • Turn mixer off.
  • Add chocolate chips by hand with a spatula
  • CHILL FOR AT LEAST ONE HOUR, OR UP TO 24 HOURS
  • Drop by the tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheets
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until golden brown
  • Cool on a wire rack
These cookies will surprise even the most discerning chocolate fiend. They are sublime and sinfully simple. They travel well, keep for days (although they never last that long) and are sure to be a favourite.

1 comment: