Sunday, August 10, 2008

Chocolate Ginger Cupcakes Stuffed with Ginger Creme and Chocolate Ganache

Holy cow.

I know I rave about a lot of the recipes I make. It's not because I'm a great baker - it's because I use solid recipes from sources that I know are far more talented than I.

But this, this cupcake is my favourite. Of all the little darlings I have created, this one is currently at the top of my list. I found a really, really, good, moist, amazing chocolate cake recipe (if that isn't enough descriptors, I don't know what is),

The bad news? I have no photos. That's right, my computer suffered some minor short-term memory loss with its recent infection, and (of course) I have already deleted them off of my camera. So I will wait until I bake them again (for I will, without a doubt, bake them again...soon) to post some pictures.

I love the combination of chocolate and ginger. But for this particular recipe (which I got an idea about from chockylit's blog) I pieced together some of my favourite recipes and ideas to come up with the ultimate cupcake.

I actually think I ate about four of these when I made them.

If you like chocolate, these are for you. If you like ginger, these are for you. If you like those little stuffed snack cakes that Hostess makes, these are for you.

In short, they are delicious!

Chocolate Ginger Cupcakes
makes 24 cupcakes

1 c. baking cocoa
1 c. boiling water
1 c. unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. sour cream
2 inch piece peeled fresh ginger, grated

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Paper 24 cupcake tins
  • Dissolve cocoa in water, let cool
  • Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
  • Add eggs, one at a time; add vanilla
  • Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl, set aside
  • Add dry ingredients alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition
  • Add cocoa mixture, beat well
  • TURN MIXER OFF
  • Add ginger by hand, mixing well to incorporated
  • Bake 20-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
these puppies will dome up a lot, which is OK since you need to dig the middles out. Still, don't fill more than 2/3 of the way full or it will just be a mess. Tried it. Believe me.

Ginger Creme

2 c. whipping cream, well chilled
1/2 c. sugar
pinch of cream of tarter
4 inch piece peeled ginger, grated very fine

  • Whipping cream works better when it's chilled
  • Whip chilled cream with cooled utensils until soft peaks form
  • Add sugar very slowly, making sure not to deflate
  • Add cream of tarter (just a pinch)
  • Add ginger
  • DO NOT OVERBEAT. I've always heard of this, but never done it until this recipe - whip that sucker too hard and you'll get butter. Odd, ginger butter. Just believe me on this one
Chocolate Icing

1 c. heavy cream
12 oz. dark chocolate
1 c. icing sugar
2 tsp grated fresh ginger

  • Chop chocolate in a small bowl, add ginger
  • Bring cream to a low boil, pour over chocolate
  • Let stand for one minute before stirring until incorporated
  • Add icing sugar slowly, beating well to keep smooth
Assembly
  • Wait for cupcakes to cool, then dig the middle out with a spoon
  • Fill middle with ginger creme
  • Ice those puppies
You know, I really have not done this post justice without any picture, but suffice it to say that this really is a wiiiiicked cupcake, that I cannot wait to make again. It was universally loved and I think claims the number one position in my heart!

Happy eats!



2 comments:

Restaurant Brugge said...

thanks 4 sharing with us these type of post

Agricultural Commodity Exports said...

Even i love the combination of chocolate and ginger. I am deseparate to have it soon. Both are in my favourite list, especially, chocolate. Thanks for this sharing.